Monday, January 26, 2015

Maps, maps, and more maps!

A few weeks ago we reviewed maps. We had so much fun creating our own little city. The kids really got into it because they created it! 

First, we made a list of everything we need in a city. This was completely student generated. I couldn't believe how many places they came up with! What a smart group I have.
Each student chose two things they would like to illustrate in our city. We had a movie theater, doctor's office, beach, and oh so many more. I even had to choose which places went on our map because we ran out of room. I guess I should have gotten a bigger piece of paper.

Next, we had to  design our city. I simply put down the roads and the students did the rest. We also had to name our city. We voted on the name School City.

Next I had my students give directions to someone who was pretending to visit our city. They did such a great job!


No comments:

Post a Comment